Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Singing in my sleep

Slowly, but surely...making my way back. Still very tired, even though I am no longer a worker bee and I sleep an extraordinary amount of the day.

A few nights ago, I awakened to Bing gently shaking me.

"Hon, you were singing in your sleep..."

Uh....do what?

Apparently, I was softly singing the song, "Ain't Even Done with the Night" in my sleep.

I sat up, confused. I barely know that song. Or just barely remember it. I remember it came out....right when I started med school. A John Mellencamp song, or as we called him back then: John Cougar.

The next day, Bing asked me to sing it and of course, I couldn't. Could only remember some of the lyrics. But, she said that I was singing them verbatim in my sleep. Almost the whole song before she awakened me. And um....okay....humming that sweet little guitar riff that opens the song and slides around all through it.

Do. Do do do, do do do.

I wonder what else is up there in my brain pan that I can't access in my waking life? Poems? Snatches of books? Medical jargon?

Last night, I was in the living room, halfheartedly reading and I head it....those guitar licks. I got up to find Bing, sitting in a chair on the sunporch, strumming her guitar and singing this:



Of course, I couldn't sing along because I DID NOT know all the lyrics.....

She should wait until I fall asleep. I could probably recite the Gettysburg address or T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock...

Life is funny, yes?

15 comments:

Jacquelineand.... said...

Ah, that shimmering guitar... I played this to death one hot summer. You aren't the only one to sing in their sleep, my sweetheart does it on occasion as well.

Good to see you. =)

The Aging Female Baby Boomer said...

LIfe is funny...YES!

Joanne Noragon said...

Part of recovering, I'm sure, is singing in your sleep from the far recesses of your brain.

Middle Girl said...

Yes. Very.

John Wooldridge said...

Glad your getting there lass, singing in your sleep? apparently I just make extremely annoying body shapes...go figure.

lily cedar said...

I'm glad you're doing better. I worry about you. Take care.

cf8c0e38-121a-11e4-8c27-97dc57aca359 said...

To echo Joanne Noragon, yes. I'm sure this is part of recovering. I patiently await your posts when you're belting songs like Luciano Pavarotti off your back porch. :)

Marie said...

So glad to have you back and singing in your sleep is healing.
I think of you often and always send you good thoughts.
Sunny side up!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad you're on the mend and getting some rest. I understand though, when we have to rest so much to heal, sometimes that's not so fun. But singing in your sleep? I take that as a good sign.

Karen Peterson said...

That's hilarious! I know I sometimes talk in my sleep, but there haven't yet been any reports of singing. The brain is a funny thing.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better. We miss you!

Julie said...

Well you sure opened a floodgate of memories for me with that song! That record was the soundtrack of my high school years. I loved John Cougar, and still know all the words.

Hope your days are getting better.

Julie said...

Well you sure opened a floodgate of memories for me with that song! That record was the soundtrack of my high school years. I loved John Cougar, and still know all the words.

Hope your days are getting better.

Kass said...

So glad you have music in your soul.

"It's alright. Hold tight."

e said...

Singing is way better than nightmares...Hugs!

Jocelyn said...

It's like this whole process is stripping away so many layers that some really curious, intriguing nuggets of You are being exposed.