Monday, January 05, 2015

The Monday after

....is the hardest day.

The Monday after you break up with someone (not me...but...I remember it...)

The Monday after a two week vacation and you have to go back to work.

The Monday after a three day weekend.

And now....the Monday after New Year's.

I've been off since Wednesday afternoon and while I managed to catch a nasty chest cold, at least I was home. Relaxing in sweat pants all day long. Reading. Sipping peach tea. Or green. Or mugwort. Or peppermint. Watching really stupid television. I mean, I didn't know that Kathie Lee Gifford was still even around.

It snowed and I didn't have to think about driving Liv to school or getting to work. I just hung out. I don't care how much you try to tell me how pretty it is. It is not. Pretty. I. DETEST. SNOW. I almost hate the cold weather as much as snow. I mean, why do I do this to myself every year? Why do I sit shivering in my drafty Victorian house while the temp outside hovers at -10 degrees? You go outside and I'm not kidding, it HURTS to take a breath. You can feel the air freezing your insides all the way down. Every year, Bing and I look at each other and shake our heads. WHY ARE WE HERE ON THIS GODFORSAKEN PRAIRIE?

And then, Spring comes and we feel all superior to those who don't have seasons because there is nothing like that feeling of going outside and taking that first sweetly pleasant breath of fresh Spring air and realizing that spring has sprung. At last.

But, in the meantime, it is early January and there are three more months of this shit to get through.

And it's the first Monday after the holidays. Bing was grumpy this morning. It was too cold for her to even run with dangerous wind chills predicted all week. And back to work.

Liv practically had to be driven out of bed with threats of me muttering that I should have asked Santa for a cattle prod instead of a french press.

And I'm sitting here shivering in my wool skirt and cashmere sweater with a jacket and tights. Ankle boots. A big furry coat to be slugged on soon. A hat to make my hair smash weirdly against my head all day long no matter how I try to fluff it back up in the freezing cold employee bathroom. And my lungs ache from this cold. I'm shoving the air in and out like a recalcitrant steam engine.

The Monday after...

7 comments:

Erin said...

Oh so very true.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I don't know what happened to me this morning, but I pretty much bounced right out of bed and have done some very productive and healthy things today. It's like that whole New Year New Me thing sank into my subconscious or something.

Anyway, I hope you get through the day without freezing to death!

Joanne Noragon said...

This Monday after meant back to the routine of being at one school or another three days out of five, and having another day sucked away by a commitment. The good news is, there is a post it note semi-permanently affixed under my office thermostat by a push pin: Do Not Change The Setting On This Thermostat.
I don't care how eco-conscious they all are, if I want my office at 72, it will be at 72! Even for long weekends, because two concrete block walls take an entire day to rise to that temperature.

lily cedar said...

Three more months, minimum, of winter here too. Just way too fucking cold.

Sarahf said...

Ah, the first Monday back. We start back on a Wednesday this year. Wednesday is a busy day for me, but easing into things is worth it!

e said...

I had Monday off. Then I caught a terrible chest cold and I've had the rest of the week off. Unfortunately, I've been too sick to do anything but lie around the house and read or doze. What a waste!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, the suck of it. I'm incredibly good at being pouty about the first day back.

Also: I'm glad you had time to catch up with some things. You needed to know that Kathy Lee is still out there. You needed to meet Hoda.