Friday, October 24, 2014

Needed a laugh...

I actually love Taylor Swift.  I listen to her cds when I want to go into the past.

Which, admittedly, isn't often.

But, it's been a long week of feeling like I'm being picked on. My hairdresser tells me that my hair is beginning to thin. Doctor's reports are not great. AGAIN.

A teenage boy at Target smirked at me as I stood before some lipsticks. His look seemed to say that all the lipstick in the world wouldn't help.

A co-worker told me that I act like my opinion is the only smart one. (We were arguing about the ebola virus....she's in favor of shutting down our borders....WHAT?)

At my child's school conference, a teacher took me for the GRANDMA.

A librarian told me that I always check out such high brow literature. But, she said it like I was showing off or something.

I feel in my bones like I just don't fit in. Anywhere.

And this song made me sing out loud.

So, here's to all of us who don't fit the molds....




9 comments:

Mitchell is Moving said...

Wow! That song made me feel great!

As for the rest:

You're hair is only just beginning to thin NOW? You're doing great.

You're not a mind-reader. Who knows what that teenaged boy's smirk was really about.

The reason your co-worker said you act like your opinion is the only smart one is because it IS! She's wants to close the borders! Yes, she has an opinion. NO, it is not a smart one.

If you had had Liv when you were 20 instead of 40, no one would make the grandma mistake. But, you've got Liv!

If that's really what the librarian meant, there's something seriously wrong with that librarian.

I figure if I ever feel like I seriously fit in, I must be doing something wrong. It is wonderful to not fit any molds.

And thanks for the great and inspirational music video!

Joanne Noragon said...

This struck to the bone. I must shake it off.

e said...

I think we'll have a lot of company!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I really like this song. A lot. It's a good mantra.

I'm sorry about all the things that have you down these past few days. I hope the weekend makes up for it.

LL Cool Joe said...

The video isn't showing up for me, but trust me when I say I know all about not fitting in, but then would we really want to? Chin, next week you'll probably get chatted up by some hot young thing and feel all better again. That's life.

Earth Muffin said...

Wow, do I feel this post! Any time I volunteer to do something related to my kids' activities, through school or otherwise, I never fit in with the other parents. I don't look like them, I don't dress like them, I don't hover like them, I don't shop/vacation/craft like them. I don't know what to say to them and they don't appear to know what to say to me, so I always bring a book or a magazine and I sit off to myself and read when I have down time. Then I feel standoffish for not trying to get to know them, but then I argue internally that it's certainly not like they're clamoring to get to know me so I might as well use the time to do something I enjoy. I'm sure you know how all that goes.

I do enjoy that Taylor song. I enjoy pretty much everything I hear from her, even though country, pop and country-pop aren't really my thing.

Moonboots said...

Great comments. Mitchell is moving is so right! I'm glad I found your blog. It feels like a familiar place. I had a similar week. I never fit in. But today I am happy.

the only daughter said...

Not a Taylor fan, but this song is very relatable. And very catchy to boot.

Square peg. Round holes. My. entire. existence.

And as for the rest, folks are just...ugh. Sometimes.

Jocelyn said...

I always love Taylor Swift, and only partially because she's my daughter's Most Favorite.

And judgy librarians are everywhere. Sad little lives they live, I tell meself, as consolation.