Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Update

Well, some better news. All but one finger (middle finger on right hand) are back to normal. My lovely middle finger is perpetually flipping everyone off because it is still very swollen and WILL NOT bend, even a little bit without agonizing pain shooting up my arm. And if I accidentally knock into anything with it, I unleash a torrent of unsavory words.

So, I drive along giving everyone the finger. Some intentionally, some not.

Small graces, though. Small favors. No more purply sausage fingers hanging.

Patience is not my strong suit, though, and I am irritated that I can't get back to my gardening. Too much risk of infection until that last hold out of a flipper finger decides to stop making its stand. Instead, I coax Liv and Bing to do my weeding and is it cruel that I wish I had a very teeny tiny whip to make them pay better attention to those weeds?

My poor waterlogged garden. It's a scraggly sight this year.

And some very difficult news at the office. Our office manager, Betsy, gave her month's notice today. As of August 1st, she will be the office manager at a new middle school newly built just a few blocks away from her home. Can't blame her, but will miss her sorely.

And this means, of course, that we'll have to interview for a replacement. How do you replace the perfect employee? No idea.

Life just keeps moving no matter what I do, it seems.

When will I learn and try to stop making the world spin the way that I want instead of becoming more adaptable to it?

As I said, one of my worst faults is a lack of patience.

Turn, turn, turn.....




8 comments:

Jacquelineand.... said...

If I could take away your pain, I would. The more pain I experience, the more other people's pain makes me ache in sympathy. Even the satisfaction of being able to flip the perpetual (and excusable) bird cannot compensate.

Sorry you're losing such a perfect employee, but could it be that your need to make the world spin the way you want it is the root of your strength and ambition?

Joanne Noragon said...

Facing the day, one foot in front of the other eventually gets us through. My simple philosophy, as I am capable of no bigger.

e said...

Glad you are starting to feel better, Maria. Chronic pain, in addition to being (obviously) painful, robs a person of every good feeling. It's hard to feel any joy when your body is racked that way.

Patience, yep, that's a tough one!

plufrompdx

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm so glad the pain is getting better for you. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'm sorry about Betsy. It's always hard to lose the best employees, even when it's for something that will be better for them.

lily cedar said...

I have no patience either and I'm sick of my apartment being upside down!

the only daughter said...

Ugh to the one hold out finger. Ugh to the water logged garden. Ugh to losing a perfect employee and double ugh for the entire hiring process.

May peace be with you.

megan blogs said...

Glad to hear there's some improvement, and hope all the RA symptoms abate soon.

Sorry you're losing the perfect employee. I don't think my former boss thought that of me, but i know she liked me a lot, and it was hard to let her know i'd found another job. I did assure her that there wasn't anything else she could have done, and i did appreciate all she did. I meant it, too. But, it was time for me to move on.

I do hope you're able to find a suitable replacement. Who doesn't mind having to fill ginormous shoes.

Fenstar de Luxe said...

I'm glad you're improving x