Ok...first off, yes...I need my family, friends, etc.
But, sometimes I need other things. Like these things....
1) Raw shea butter. Now, not the fake stuff you get in a store, you need raw unrefined shea butter from Africa. I order it by the pound and use it everywhere...hair and skin. My favorite thing to do is grease myself up like a stuck pig and then take a hot, steamy shower. Of course, then you have to contend with the shower feeling a little slick. Liv doesn't mind (she likes shea butter too...) but Bing has accused me more than once of trying to turn our shower into a skating rink. So, be prepared to get out the cleanser to clean the shower floor when you are done. I like Bartender's Friend. Works like a charm.
2) Chai Tea Latte (get a venti!) from Starbucks. Like silk on your tongue and makes you feel all loved up. And it doesn't make my sugar go through the roof. As a type 1 diabetic....that matters to me.
3) A good book. A must. At all times. I love it when I feel a book calling me from across the room, luring me like I'm a sailor and it's a mermaid. I hear that siren call and am almost helpless with ache for a good sit down with a book.
4) Watching The Vikings. I am so in love with all the characters and love losing myself each week. I just sink in with my soft shea buttered skin and I. Am. Sated.
5) Turning the electric mattress warmer up to HIGH a half hour before I crawl into bed. I like to take a shower or a bath (cranberry bubbles please) and then go right from taking the towel off to bed. I sink in shivering and feel my bones and joints groan with relief. Warning: if you do this in front of your partner/spouse/lover....they might get in the mood for a little somethin, somethin. So...if you aren't in the mood, best to do it without an audience.
6) Eating a granny smith apple, cut neatly into wedges and placed on a pretty little plate. Half sour, half sweet, crunchy and satisfying.
7) Browsing through seed catalogs. I plan my garden every February and it helps me through the rawness of the month. I try to add something new each year, either a new herb, flower or vegetable. This year, I am choosing moon flowers. I have a nice idea to plant them right beneath the window of our guest room so that if the window is opened at night, the seductive moony scent will waft right in. They bloom at night and are so beautiful that I am sometimes moved to tears when they open.
8) Good music. I love having a teenaged daughter. She introduces me to all kinds of music that I would never find on my own. Thirty Seconds to Mars. Yum.
9) Listening and learning from the children whom I work with daily. If I let myself go and just forget to stop analyzing, I fall in love over and over.
10) That first day when I look outside through our picture window and see that the trees are starting to bud. I practically dance all day long in my head. SPRING! All is not lost. IT'S COMING.