Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas cheer

Much to be thankful for this year:

1) No snow. Or...snow in small doses. For us prairie people, this means, no more than 4 inches at a time.

2) I don't have to cook. Our good friend, Thuan, made Pho Ga for Christmas Eve dinner with Vietnamese hollow bread...so tasty and warm and yummy and delectable and just sublime. Until I tasted his dessert: Tau Hu Nuoc Duong. I was in heaven. True heaven. And Christmas dinner is currently being prepared by Liv and her Father, Tinton. A traditional Christmas dinner of turkey with raisin stuffing, mashers with gravy, creamed corn, homemade buttermilk biscuits, olives, cranberry sauce, that green bean dish with fried onion rings on top and homemade pumpkin pie for dessert. Dinner's at 5. Wanna come?

3) Liv was speechless with JOY over her Santa gift of a trip to Ireland with her Father to see her fave band and check out Trinity for two weeks in February. She also liked the blue lacy suede coat and Daft Punk and The Nationals cds. Plus...Vince and Thuan spoiled her rotten with a lovely pearl necklace.

4) Our gift from Vince and Thuan: four pounds of Temple Coffee and Tea, Kenya Kamviu. The BEST coffee in the world. Bing, Liv, and I are all coffee addicts and this brand is one that we ALL love and never buy since it must be ordered and is expensive and we make do with Dunkin' Donuts.

5) My gift from Tinton: tickets for Liv and I to see the Moscow ballet when they come in town to perform Swan Lake. Bing was overjoyed that she was not included in this gift as she can't sit through ballets of any kind.

6) Many other gifts, all lovely, especially a self portrait done by Liv and a gift certificate to Starbucks from co-workers.

7) Socks taking turns lap sitting as we all opened gifts last night after our Vietnamese feast. He is a gentleman dog, makes everyone feel welcome.

8) Finally going as a family to see the new Hobbit movie this morning.

9) Listening to the Jimmy Dean Christmas album right now. Hokey as all get out, but lovely.

and lastly,

10) Knowing that there will be lively conversation at the dinner table in less than an hour. Or as C.S. Lewis put it:

The sun looks down on nothing half so good as a household laughing together over a meal.

Peace to you all on this happiest of days.

11 comments:

Teacher Cynthia said...

Enjoy, Maria! So very, very lovely!

And I wish I could say we've got the same good stuff here but...

hmmm... maybe next year.

This year I have an understanding daughter and mom.

And a lot of other pain in the ass stuff which I don't want to share since I can no longer post anonymously in the comment section and besides, I should NOT be grousing here as a tag to your happy post!

But! Let's just say I am LOOKING FORWARD to sitting in a nice soup of self-pity tonight... in the lovely bath salts my daughter gave me. Do love those!

In the meantime, out here in sunny NorCal... I love sun and need it but this relentless no-rain is starting to un-nerve me. Climate change - scary! Drought etc.

Hoping I can dive into a good book tonight after my bath.

In some other life, I'm going to be able to navigate a really terrific relationship and a lot of other shit I mean stuff.

In this life, I'm happy that I'm increasingly honest with myself and I'm grateful for the beingness of it all.

ZC

Destingirls said...

Yes may I please come? That sounds soooo good.

the only daughter said...

Dinner does sound lovely and the company, more so. May the happy, happy continue for you all.

Fenstar de Luxe said...

Yum, I think I could fit some more food in!!
Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful lot, I hope you had a fabulous dinner full of magical conversations x

lily cedar said...

I'm thankful my son and his girlfriend came over to spend time with Katie and us. After Katie went home we had a lovely meal and played a very silly, very fun game. It was nice. Missed my mum but not in a bad way.

Take care woman. Have a good time tomorrow.

Joanne Noragon said...

To all of us, the true founder of our feasts. And a happy wedding to you, too.

megan blogs said...

Sounds like a delightful day!

e said...

Love the quote. Such a happy notion.

Peace and Joy to all of your household, Maria!

plufrompdx

Karen M. Peterson said...

It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas! I hope your New Year is just as special.

Sarahf said...

Sounds like a blissful Christmas! Enjoy the life you have built together.

Mitchell is Moving said...

This list gives me the warm fuzzies... well, except for #9...