Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rain, a good book, Tate's chocolate chip cookies and a Miramar candy dish

Ah...there is something so good about coming home from a hard day's work..

(and lordy, lordy...was it hard today...complete with an exploratory beginning interview where a mom called me a "fucketty fuck face" in front of her newly returned 4 year old daughter who had been taken away from her for 2 years for child abuse and neglect...she was furious with me because I used the word prerogative and told me to "can the fucking big ass words, bitch"...and yeah...after that we were DONE talking and I told her to leave and we might be able to revisit this conversation when she could speak respectfully to me...at which point she heaved her child on her hip and said, "bye cunt" and slammed out the door...yes, I do indeedy, boy howdy, fuckety fuckety love my job...)

I sat with a bowl of cream of rice in my lap and read Anne Lamott's new book, Some Assembly Required. After my dinner, I enjoyed a chocolate chip cookie and sat close to Bing on the sofa for a while canoodling and sharing our days.

Then, Bing showed me the exquisite 1953 Miramar candy dish that we discovered a few weekends ago at Goodwill. The one that cleaned up beautifully and is worth about 20 times what we paid for it. We decided to give it as a housewarming gift to Chloe, the daughter of a close friend who is just starting her professional editing life in New York and living in Brooklyn.

I have to say that life is not bad when there is a cool rain splashing down outside and I am in a warm, softly lit house with cream of rice and a Tate's chocolate chip cookie in my belly, reading a good book and watching Bing finish polishing up the Miramar candy dish.

Fuckety fuck...not bad t'all.

14 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

It's amazing the way any asshole can become a parent, no?

Today I was told that I suck big, fucking, hairy dicks by a 12 year old because I asked him to "please be quite while his classmates finish their assignment." I've developed a very thick skin over the years, the content of the comments never bothers me any more. What bugs me is that this kid thought that was an appropriate response to my request, you know?

So, I took my boys out for a little Italian dinner tonight. Mr. EM had to work, so it was just me and the M.'s and it was quite nice. Now I'm sipping a little ginger ale and I may indulge in a little dark chocolate later.

Fuckety fuck, indeed.

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my hell, you might as well have been writing about what we deal with on almost a daily basis with some of our parents. Throw a "fuck you, white bitch!" in there, and you've got all the bases covered. And, yes, it is ALWAYS in front of the children. Just too sad.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Happiness is having such a cozy nest to return to at the end of days such as this!

sybil law said...

Gaaaaaahhhhh. Hard to hold back from speaking to that bitch, I'm sure!

But you're right - you have cozy.
I sure hope that kid does tonight.

Damn, I am depressing. Didn't meant to be!

I have to say, the "fuckety-fuck-face" made me laugh.
As you were.
:)

HARPER said...

name calling is an unfortunate hazard of my job as well...i love being able to come home to my pup and my books...oh and peppermint tea!

Fenstar de Luxe said...

ooh what a charmer, poor child :(

sillywrongbutvividright said...

Hey Maria :)

I just finished reading, for the second time 'A Piece of Cake' by Cupcake Brown ... this lady, the "fuckedy fuck face" lady, made me think of Cupcake. Have you read it? While the behaviour isn't acceptable, at all, I kind of have a new understanding now of why some people act in this way, despite the fact it is going to impact negatively on their plight, it's almost as if they have no other way of communicating this big anger they feel at the world, the way they communicate with people who they perceive to be 'meddling' in their business ... of course I don't know this woman, I don't know the situation .. it just reminded me of her, that's all.
Hope you're well, and that Bing is feeling a little better with her back now (says I, currently unable to get out of my chair!)
:)

pawsingtospeak said...

It was one of those days yesterday... Fuckity fuck it was! My comfort was a fall apart with a fork roast and mashed potatoes - and a walk with the three dogs and my sweetie. Here's to a better day today!

Vinita said...

I'm raising a toast of early morning tea to you. Reading your post gives a wonderful start to my day. Lots of love.

Mark said...

Wow! You certainly have a dream job. But it's your prerogative to work there. Sorry for using that "big ass" word.
m.

Jean said...

I want a fucking picture of the fucking vase! Antiques Roadshow-type story!!!

C said...

some people are SO fucking ignorant, always blaming others for their own fuck-ups... and i know it must just wrinle your panties to have to bite your tongue and NOT knock her teeth out...

thank god for a cozy home to snuggle up in and let the world drift off into la la land whilst you enjoy the comforts only your family and a home can give you...

heartinsanfrancisco said...

That woman has custody of her child despite showing herself to be patently incapable of raising her decently? Well, for fuck's sake. That's just wrong.

FrankandMary said...

I've been known to sing when cool rain is splashing down. Sing with abandon, in fact. Even without the cookie. ~Mary