Saturday, December 24, 2011

Life is good

Something to remember: LIFE IS GOOD.

So much to be thankful for. Good friends bearing way too many gifts (Vince and Thuan) and Tinton (Liv's father) spiriting her away for a father/daughter talk last night. She came back looking at peace and spent the hour before bed watching television with him, head on his shoulder, his arms holding her securely.

Thankful,too, for Nirand, for putting on some Yo-Yo Ma and dancing with me in front of the Christmas tree.

Thankful for Socks, who just keeps spreading the love.

Thankful that Joyce said yes to coming over for Christmas dinner tomorrow.

Thankful for Thuan, who is at this very moment sitting at the dining room table figuring out what to make for said Christmas dinner.

Thankful for a NO SNOW Christmas. Bah humbug indeed.

Thankful mostly for Bing, who makes my life sweet and is my soft place to land. Who decided that what Liv and I needed most was for us to take 500 out of savings and to go to a K-Mart in a really poor area of the city and use that money to pay off some layaways anonymously. It worked and it took us out of ourselves. And then stopping at McDonald's so that I could try their pumpkin latte and she and Liv could indulge in some decadent french fries. And then telling us a really funny story about one of her students and making us both laugh. She always knows EXACTLY what to do.

Thankful for the smell of minestrone soup simmering on the stove. It will be our Christmas Eve dinner tonight, along with Bing's homemade buttermilk biscuits slathered with Irish butter and honey.

Thankful for so many friends in Blogville. You all rock.

Happy holidays from a lucky woman....

17 comments:

sybil law said...

Happy Holidays!!
xoxo

ChiTown Girl said...

Merry, merry Christmas, my sweet Maria! You are definitely on my list of what I am thankful for in my life. And, yes, I know it's strange to feel like we are real "friends," when we only know each other through the blogosphere, but I can't help it. Through your incredible writing, you pull us into your stories, and make us feel like we experienced them first-hand. We could just as easily be sharing these stories, coffee in hand, at my kitchen table.

I'm wishing you, Liv, Bing and the whole gang a most blessed Christmas. May 2012 bring you nothing but health and happiness.

lyon de clarasvals said...

Happy Happy Holidays to you and all of your loved ones.

Mitch Block said...

And thanks to you for opening up my world even further, for entertaining and inspiring, for so honestly sharing your life with us, and to all of you for that amazing thing you just did at K-Mart!!! I'm so glad I found your blog this year and I am so glad you and Bing found each other. Merry Christmas!

JohnD said...

Christmas Day here already - hit 37.5C (100F) in the shade yesterday but we are hoping for a cooler day today.

All quite in the house, Denny's sleeping off a night of chasing possums out of the yard. Rhonda's gone to work for the morning and I'm about to have a nice mug of hot tea!

Chris said...

I adore that you did the anonymous layaway payoff :-) What a blessing you 3 were for some folks! Merry Christmas to you and your fun crew!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Merry Christmas to you and your incredible family, Maria! We all have so many blessings that we often fail to appreciate because we are focused on what is wrong. Truly, if even one thing in our life is right, we are doing really well. Being able to do beautiful deeds generously is perhaps the greatest blessing of all. Enjoy all the moments as they happen because life is made up of all those moments strung together. Thank you for sharing so many of yours with all of us.

e said...

I wish you all the best of Christmas and a very happy 2012. You were certainly wonderful to all of the people you helped. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm reading Chess for Idiots.

pins said...

Thanks for sharing your writing and your life with all of us lucky bloggers! Happy Holidays.

Rose said...

A very happy Christmas to you and yours, Maria. Thanks for brightening my days with tales from your life. You really do make the world a better place.

(((you)))

Anonymous said...

Heart you, Maria and crew!

iamheatherjo said...

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, Maria! I, too, have been thankful for no snow. I don't need a White Christmas...well...I DO need the Bing Crosby movie. It's one of my traditions. ;)

Anyway, you are correct, life IS good and I'm so glad that to have found you and that you share parts your life with us. I enjoy reading what you've been up to and I'm always thankful (and a little flattered, to be honest) when you let me know you've visited me too.

Wishing you the very best.

dive said...

And we are thankful for you, dear Maria, bringing light to all our lives.
Merry Christmas to you, Liv, Bing, Tinton, Socks and everyone you love.
xxx

Redbone210 said...

Happy holidays Maria.

Jill said...

Merry Christmas my friend.

Destingirls said...

Merry Christmas Maria!

Robert. said...

"Happy holidays"? What kind of arse-kissing is that?

It's MERRY CHRISTMAS, you slaves.