Thursday, November 10, 2011

My opinion

First, to all those who e-mailed me with the wrong impression that I was somehow sticking up for Paterno.

READ THE BLOG.

I in no way stated that I thought Joe Paterno was in the right.

And yes, I am a parent. The first thing I thought was that if that had been my daughter, I would be one seriously revengeful mother.

I gave options on the blog. Wondered what you thought and I didn't want to put my opinion out there for fear that those who disagreed with me would feel as if they needed to just shut up. I wanted to read what you thought.

Still, I felt that I gave myself away.

Apparently not.

I not only think that Joe Paterno should have been fired, I think the grad student who witnessed Sandusky violating a child should be fired. I think that every single person who knew what was going on and didn't act should be fired.

And I am repulsed by the Penn State students who threw fits when Joe was fired.

I thought about those kids. Those boys. A lot. I thought about how excited they must have been to be taken on a tour, whatever, of the Penn State sports complex. I know that most boys (and more than a few girls) in my neck of the woods would pretty much die of joy to be taken on a tour of the Husker locker rooms. See where our boys in red make their magic.

I thought of their faces as they walked through those halls being led by an actual sidelines coach. How exciting.

And then...well...how unbearably terrible.

Just thinking of it makes me ill.

But what is worse is thinking about no one, NO ONE stepping forward to be the voice for a little boy who was probably scared out of his mind.

Joe could have been that voice. He SHOULD have been that voice.

Those who have much, have much responsibility.

He OWED it to that boy, those boys, to do the right thing.

We'll never know the whole story. But, you know, we don't need to know it. We just need that one detail: a child was being hurt and no one stopped it.

There is a lot of talk in Huskerville about what sort of reception we are going to get when we go to play there this weekend. Some think we should not even go there. Forfeit.

It will be newsworthy, win or lose, of this I am sure.

It all comes down to one thing. One child's face representing many. And how brave they are to step forward. How awful that they will now be made to re-live what was most likely the worst moment of their lives.

It sickens me.

Joe sickens me.

What baffles me, though, is his face. He looks genuinely bewildered, as if he can't quite figure out what the fuss is all about. This confuses me. Does he REALLY see himself as blameless?

This is just the beginning of a world of pain for a lot of people.

But, mostly for those kids.

Mostly for those kids.

Mostly for those kids.

19 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

I couldn't agree more. And I thought your opinion was perfectly clear.

sybil law said...

I don't know how anyone had the impression you were pro Paterno at all.
I agree with you. I can see, maybe going to your superiors with your knowledge, and maybe assuming they would take care of it - the RIGHT way (involving the police, etc). Anyone with a hear, though, would've followed up to see what was happening, asking what they could do, and I would think, upon finding out nothing was done, going to the authorities themselves. Doing anything less is ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous - heartless. It fucking disgusts me.

chrisyub said...

i didn't have time to comment this morning, but as this day has gone on and i've read more and more about this (wish I hadn't really), one thing is really bothering me. mrs. sandusky. you can't tell me that she didn't have an inkling something was off with the mr. no freaking way. was it money, i wonder, that made all of these people look the other way? it is all so horrifying. also, the parents. except for the one, nobody had any red flags going off?
It's really all i can do not to vomit really. i feel so sick over it.

chrisyub said...

i didn't have time to comment this morning, but as this day has gone on and i've read more and more about this (wish I hadn't really), one thing is really bothering me. mrs. sandusky. you can't tell me that she didn't have an inkling something was off with the mr. no freaking way. was it money, i wonder, that made all of these people look the other way? it is all so horrifying. also, the parents. except for the one, nobody had any red flags going off?
It's really all i can do not to vomit really. i feel so sick over it.

chrisyub2sw said...

i didn't have time to comment this morning, but as this day has gone on and i've read more and more about this (wish I hadn't really), one thing is really bothering me. mrs. sandusky. you can't tell me that she didn't have an inkling something was off with the mr. no freaking way. was it money, i wonder, that made all of these people look the other way? it is all so horrifying. also, the parents. except for the one, nobody had any red flags going off?
It's really all i can do not to vomit really. i feel so sick over it.

Chris said...

that was me, btw. whatever i accidentally typed and hit enter.

pawsingtospeak said...

It is all very sad and unfortunate.

It will be a tough game for both teams this weekend.

So sad...

Mark said...

How did someone get that you were defending Joe Paterno?
I actually did re-read your last post just to make sure. Nope, you did not.
m.

Lilith said...

I didn't think you were pro Joe. I know what you do for a living, I know the hurt you see.

Redbone210 said...

Please read this article if you have time...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/jerry-sandusky-penn-state-scandal-pedophiles-groom-victims/story?id=14896987

Maria, I was assume that you see the aftermath of abuse thru your job. But for other readers, maybe this will shed some light.

IMO...I can't understand parents who let their children go away for weekends or overnight trips with adult men without parental supervision. Maybe that's just the overprotective mother that I am. If my son goes, then I do too.

Mitch Block said...

I also thought you did a great job with your original post, simply soliciting feedback. I never for a moment thought you considered Paterno to be in the right. And I couldn't agree more with this post.

Jean said...

How are your stomachs? If they are sufficiently settled, Google Penn State Grand Jury Report Full Text and read it for yourself.

And then puke and puke again.

Sandusky may well have been victimized as a child - that's how this evil sickness works. And now we have a legion of future perpetrators that he created - like vampires.

The only solution to child sexual abuse to terminate their lives the first time they're caught. Recidivism rates are obsenely high - no one is CURED of this. It permanantly changes how some brains works. Not all victims go on to victimize, but many, many do. How do we fix this?

I am not a Big Red fan (Cyclone fan here!), but I would stand up and applaud their refusal to play the game. It would send a strong message of support for the victims - which has been sorely lacking from ALL quarters - from a leader in the college football ranks. I wish/hope someone has the balls to do it.

Can someone tell me how more pedophiles are not killed by parents of a child that was sexually abused? I don't know how I would stop myself.

Grumpy Granny said...

I agree 100%. You walk in on something like that and you whine that you DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO??? Bullshit you don't know what to do. You didn't want to rock the fucking boat.

Firing is too good for the lot of them unless it's a firing SQUAD.

One pissed off granny of 2 boys, 11 and 9.

iamheatherjo said...

I've been kind of surprised by the reactions of some of my friends to this whole thing. Some I thought would side with him, didn't. And then I was really surprised by a friend (a mother) who said she wished people would leave him alone.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I would have known how you felt about this without reading your previous post or this one because although you carefully hide your identity on your blog, you have never hidden who you are. And I agree. Football is very unimportant compared to decency, compassion and responsibility.

rainy5982 said...

With your comment about the Catholic Church I don't see how anyone could have thought you were JoePa Pro.

That being said I know very little about the situation. My husband says I don't know why he's getting in trouble. He did exactly what he was supposed to do. .... Yeah I'm baffled too. Because I'd be screaming it to any one who would listen if I knew about it until someone did something. The University should be in a lot of trouble but they probably won't be.

There is no defense for anyone in that school not going to the police and not firing this man. I hope they face some serious consequences.

~rainy5982

laniebelluz said...

I'm with Mark - I had to go back and re-read - I never for a moment thought you were Pro-joe either. I think you just "kicked the hornet's nest" with this one. I'm in agreeance with you - it was a terrible thing and everyone involved had a responsibility to report it to the police IMMEDIATELY. Not try to cover it up - which, seems like what the university was trying to do.

Annemarie of Holland said...

Some people have suggested that since Paterno didn't actually witness the "shower scene" himself but was told about it by someone else, he may have thought he couldn't go to the police with this information as it would purely be hearsay, or even slander. Still, you'd think he would have done much more to find out whether there was any truth to the story.

English Rider said...

If I see someone mistreating an animal or a human, I don't "wonder what to do" or report it to my boss. I intervene to stop the immediate abuse. These people are equally despicable and self-serving, from top to bottom. May they burn in Hell!