Thursday, August 04, 2011

Why I love Bill Maher

He says:

"Let's make a law that gay people can have birthdays but straight people get more cake- you know, to send the right message to kids."

"The tea baggers. The one thing they hate is when you call them racist. The other thing they hate is black people. But they won't say it."

"Things aren't right. If a burglar breaks into your house and you shoot him, he can sue you. For what, restraint of trade?"

"To me a real patriot is like a real friend. Who is your real friend? It's a person who tells you the truth. That's who my real friends are. So, you know, I think as far as our country goes, we need more people who will do that."

"We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justifies crazies."

"The problem is that people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the people who are the most certain of them."

"Freedom isn't free. It shouldn't be a bragging point that Oh, I don't get involved in politics, as if that makes you somehow cleaner. No, that makes you derelict of duty in a republic. Liars and panderers in government would have a much harder time of it if so many people didn't insist on their right to remain ignorant and blindly agreeable."

"I have a problem with people who take the Constitution loosely and the Bible literally."

"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."

"Only 42% of Republicans believe that Obama was born in the United States. That's an amazing statistic. How come in America Christians are the only ones who won't take anything on faith?"

"If conservatives get to call universal healthcare socialized medicine, I get to call private for-profit healthcare soulless, vampire bastards making money off human pain."

"When we talk about values, I think of rationality in solving problems. That's something I value. Fairness, kindness, generosity, tolerance. When they talk about values, they're talking about things like going to church, voting for Bush, being loyal to Jesus, praying. These are not values."

"Bush gave an interview and he said people will vote for him because They've seen me weep, they've seen me laugh, and they've seen me hug. These are the same qualifications for Tickle Me Elmo."

So...yeah or nay? Are you a Bill Maher fan or not?

18 comments:

John Gray said...

maria
some of what you write about has been in my mind only this morning...

Trop said...

Yep. I'm a Bill Maher fan. He can be a little over the top with arrogance, but on the whole he's spot-on in his observations.

Earth Muffin said...

I most certainly am! I assume you've seen Religulous? He was also the subject of a recent Rolling Stone interview that was a great read. Mr. EM has the biggest, raging man-crush on him you can imagine. Even my kids recognize his face. Yep, Bill Maher would be welcome here for dinner any time...

My favorite quote in this post would have to be the one about "soulless, vampire bastards making money off human pain". Dear, sweet Bill.

Sarahf said...

I think I've seen him on TV once, and, yes, definite fan. Laughing at America is what English people do to distract us from the mess we have in the UK.

Fusion said...

I don't actively watch him, but every time I listen to him I usually agree with what he says.

deb said...

I.AM.A.MAHER.FAN. :-)

OMG - yer still blogging! You have the heart of a lioness. Long time no blog for me. I just couldn't juggle it along with everything else. And that my family found it and started reading it. Kinda crimped my style, ya know?

Glad to know you're still kicking over rocks. Happy B-Day to Liv. KR & Megs are 13 & 15 now (can you believe it? I can't).

I'll try to come back more often now.

deb

e said...

Absolutely.

Lawfrog said...

I have always loved Bill Maher! He tells it like it is. I really enjoyed his show "Politically Incorrect" when it was on and watched it regularly.

Redbone210 said...

Absolutely! I'm a huge fan.

I also have a slight crush on John Stewart for the same reason - something about stinging wit is sexy to me.

sybil law said...

LOVE him.

dive said...

I don't know who Bill Maher is but I love him. Thanks for cheering my breakfast, Maria.

betty & wilma said...

yes, i am a fan. bill maher, to me is like a political version of george carlin. they both speak of the truth while making ya laugh at the same time.

Annemarie of Holland said...

Don't know Bill Maher, but based on your quotes, I'd be a fan! Love the one about the Constitution and the Bible - so real...

The Crow said...

Maher for President!

Anonymous said...

He's an arrogant asshole, but more than a few of the really smart ones are.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Yes! He is a rare, articulate voice for common sense and honesty. I completely agree with his views, although he expresses them far better than I.

the only daughter said...

Very simply, yes.

Anonymous said...

fuck you. your the arrogant asshole