Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I always wanted to do this and finally did....

I work in a large building in the downtown area of my city.

I work on the fourth floor.

Every morning, I do the same thing: I park my car in my reserved space, grab my briefcase and join the throngs of people going inside the building. We all have to go through a metal detector and then show our building badges to a police officer. If you forget to wear your badge (and I have done this only twice in over a year), there is this long process where you have to have the designated person in your office called and they come down and identify you and then you get your picture taken (and you usually look horrid because they don't warn you when they are going to snap it, so you look surprised and/or hostile)and have to wear a big yellow badge with said photo on it..(unless you are like me and tear that sucker off once you get to your office!)

We all wait for the elevators and ride up in groups.

I was one of the last ones on the elevator yesterday.

Instead of turning to face the elevator doors, I turned to face the group and said:

"I suppose you're all wondering why I've gathered you all here...."

I KNOW it is silly. But, I've always wanted to do this, so I just took a leap and did it.

Which is why everyone burst out laughing and everyone checked out my badge. Several of them sent me inter-building office e-mails to tell me that I made their day. So now I know that the woman who always wears the grooviest earrings is actually a secretary for that dentist with the strange name (Fangman...for a dentist!) and that the sad looking man who always wears a blue tie is Dr. Fangman. I know that the older woman who wears her gray hair up in a severe bun is one of the cooks in the cafeteria and the overly perfumed young woman with the beautiful red hair is an audiologist.

Humor helps the day pass. And now, we were able to start the day smiling.

At least I was...

Sure beats the usual fare:

It sure is hot out there this morning!
Lovely morning. Too bad it's a weekday.
Good morning!
Have a good day, everyone.


Or in my case:

Stay completely silent because you are kind of crabby until you get your coffee.

I dare you to try this the next time you are in an elevator.

16 comments:

Mark said...

Too funny! But I'm not that brave.
m.

Sarahf said...

That's a great idea! I wonder if I'll ever summon up the guts. Fangman?! Did he change it by Deed Poll? Lol.

ChiTown Girl said...

That's hilarious! I wasn't even there, and you made MY day!

Redbone210 said...

That's awesome. I'm gonna try that one.

True story said...

:D Hilarious!

I'm not sure I would've pulled it off though.. what if no one laughs!?

the only daughter said...

Double, or triple dog dare?

I'm often in our (small-ish) building and very small elevator alone, unless I've ridden Brin to work.

But, perhaps the theory is the same on the train? Hmmmm... except there is already so much humor on the train, one can hardly stand it. :-)

Chris said...

how fabulous. humor is what sustains me. in the last few weeks or so, with my myriad of medical appointments, i have had more opportunity to interact with strangers than i have in a long time, aside from my biweekly trip to Walmart,where strangers abound, but more often than not I opt not to interact with them. i have found engaging folks, no matter how nervous i am about my appointments, has been the absolute best thing i could have done to get through it all. yesterday while I was lying in the ultrasound room i was thinking my but haven't i met some of the loveliest folks in this process. i hope i have left them with smiley feelings about me, as you have with your new building friends.

jo.irish.rose said...

Aww, that that was very cute and very brave of you! Good for you for making their day brighter!

Lawfrog said...

I love that you did that and that people e-mailed to tell you they appreciated it. It's also a nice side effect, if you will, that you got to know the people you travel with in the elevator every day or at least got to know who they are and what they do.

neetzy said...

What fun Maria! You made a lot of people's day!

Lisa said...

Truly brilliant. That made MY day. Or evening. Whatever. You know what I mean. xoxo

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha! In the UK no one talks to one another in the lift. It was one of my biggest shocks when I first went to the States that not only did people make eye contact with one another they actually talked too! Weird, but cool.

Grumpy Granny said...

When I was a paralegal and I rode the elevator with my boss, the attorney, I used to say as the doors closed and we started up, "All rise!"

Always cracked her up, and she was not known for her displays of humor.

;-)
GG

KMae said...

Halarious!!!

C said...

yep you just made me laugh out loud!!! i adore your humor, it's very much like mine...

hugs

Spacey Stacey said...

Hi there! Just wanted to stop by, say hi and let you know I am still around, trying to start blogging again. Loved the elevator humor too!