Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Timberlake

I can't figure him out.

A few years ago, I saw him on Conan (on Leno's time frame...where he should STILL BE) and fell a little bit in crush.

And I can't figure out why as he doesn't meet many of my attraction criteria.

1) He's not a bad boy.

This is pretty much a prereq for me to have a celebrity crush. I'm not stupid enough to fall in love with a bad boy or girl, but I do crush on them. I mean, didn't he date Brit Spears? Didn't they have some sort of celibacy pact at one time? This is SO not attractive to me.

2) He doesn't look like Alcide on True Blood or even Erik Northman. Or Laura Linney or Tina Fey. He isn't even all that great looking. Not that being hot is a pre req (it helps...but isn't necessary.) Example: John Cusack. I've never thought he was gorgeous but there is just this intelligence about him that I find very attractive.

3) He fits the smart criteria. I do crush on smart guys and his interviews show that he is clearly intelligent. And to act, sing and write well is pretty good. You don't always get all three in one mash up.

4) I don't like his voice all that much. It's a little high pitched for my taste.

5) I think he is funny. BIG pre req. He has that dry humor that wins points with me. And his SNL short, Dick in a Box made me laugh so hard that I choked on iced tea.

6) I honestly don't care much for his other music even though Bing tells me that he is brilliant. My foot doesn't tap when his music comes on.

So...what is it about him that makes me look up when I see him on television and why will I certainly go see his new movie? Not sure. I do know that when I was in my 20's this is EXACTLY the kind of relationship that I wanted and could never seem to get. I always wanted a "friends with benefits" relationship...loved the idea of being able to have good sex and fun times with NO strings attached. I would have excelled at that shit but I could never seem to achieve it. Because, face it, there are always a lot more people who are looking for Ms. Right than for Ms. Wrong But Fun. Which is what I was.

But, I have no idea why Justin Timberlake makes me nod and smile and go all limp kneed. Well, not limp kneed like Lee DeWyze gets me. But, limp kneed all the same.

So..here is my question for you.

Who is a celebrity that you crush on who does NOT fit your attraction criteria?

15 comments:

LizC said...

I don't crush on Justin, but I did watch him this morning on Regis & Kelly and he was so charming and poised (and he was a fan of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor!) that I actually paid attention to him for the first time. As for crushing on celebrities not typically my type, I always had a thing for Robert Mitchum.

neetzy said...

Haha!

I'll say Katie Perry! I just find her adorable. I'm pretty much confirmed heterosexual (married 25 years to a guy who wasn't my type). But Katie with her whipped cream bra, shooting fireworks from her boobs and "I kissed a girl and I liked it" does it to me!

I don't generally like cutesy pop music but I find her absolutely gorgeous! I'd do her!

ChiTown Girl said...

I ADORE Justin Timberlake!! And, just like you, I have NO idea why. There's no one thing I can put my finger on. Did you happen to catch SNL this past Saturday? The reran a show that he hosted a few months ago. TOO FUNNY!

dive said...

Slap me, Maria, but I have no idea who Justin Timberlake is (nor indeed Lee DeWyze).
The closest I've got to an odd celebrity crush is the violinist Alina Ibragimova. Not my 'type' at all but boy howdy she makes me all unnecessary.

Lilith said...

I can't wait for that movie to come out. There's another movie similar to this one, "No Strings Attached" with Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman, loved it and Ashton would be celebrity crush. Sigh.

Vinita said...

Colin Firth... didnt like him much before but Bridget Jones' Diary and Easy Virtue converted me although he so isnt my type.

Earth Muffin said...

I adore JT too. He's funny, smart, talented and (with the exception of Britney) he has fantastic taste in women. BTW, the whole Britney-celibacy thing was a sham for their younger, impressionable fans at the time. They were living together and, indeed, sleeping together for much of their relationship. I'm lukewarm to his music, some of it I really like, but most of it really isn't my style.

I'm not sure I have a "type" when it comes to celeb crushes. I seem to be all over the map. My top 5 are Brad Pitt, Matt Dillon, Alexander Skarsgard, Dave Grohl and JJ Grey (not sure he's quite a "celeb" yet, but he is to me). I also have a thing for Alan Rickman, Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Rob McElhenny (from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg (a bit religious for my liking, but MY GOD THOSE ABS). Oh yeah, and that guy that plays Alcide...smokin' hot.

If you can find a common thread among those guys, I'd love to hear it.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh I've always had the hots for Justin, and his music is excellent, and he's a great dancer, and he is a bit of a bad boy too.

Jennifer said...

Vin Diesel. No idea why. All of my other celebrity crushes (and real life ones) are on women. But, he is all kinds of awesome in my book.

sybil law said...

Yep - Justin Timberlake is NOT my type at all, but I'd do him. In theory.

Anonymous said...

Dwayne Johnson. I'm embarassed just typing his name. Altho... I can see how he is my type is some ways... but mostly, I am not a "big guy" type... I'm a electric eel type... sinewy, sleek, and dangerous...
ZC

betty & wilma said...

hi maria, i have changed my blog name. i'll explain why later.

no-drama-for-da-mama@blogspot.com

chris

e said...

I wish my 'type' were represented on tv or in movies, but you just don't see many Latina butches on screen... more's the pity! Michelle Rodriquez might be the closest ~ she's certainly got the butch swagger, but she looks too girly. And, for a girly Latina crush I'd go with Salma Hayek.

I love butch women. I'm not at all a femme, but apparently that's not a prerequisite for many of them.

Rose said...

This is really hard! I tend to swoon over men like Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig (COWBOYS & ALIENS has made me weak-kneed just in theory, never mind seeing it), and other intense, action-oriented hero types. I suppose I also crush on intellectual guys, like John Cusack (great taste you have there, Maria!) and Neil Gaiman. And recently, it's been Bradley Cooper. But it's interesting--I tend to crush on characters rather than the actors themselves. As much as I like Harrison Ford, I think I LOVE Indiana Jones and Han Solo more.

So I think the weirdest character crush I ever had was on Murdock (played by Dwight Schultz) on TV's THE A-TEAM. He's certainly not that good-looking--but damn, he made me laugh every week, and I just adored him! He was the only reason I even watched the show. :-)

SUNSHINE ON MY FLIPFLOPS* said...

Paul Walker -- he's such a pretty boy which usually isn't my type. But I fall in love with him more and more with each Fast & Furious movie. He seems like he'd be a great guy to sit and throw a couple beers back with :)