Saturday, July 09, 2011

Am I the only one?

We are spending way too much time at my workplace discussing the Casey Anthony case.

This bugs me because I feel as if this woman is going to profit mightily from killing her child. The reality shows are going to come a'calling. Can't you just see the publicity blurbs?

"Casey Anthony can beat a murder rap but can she dance!!!??"

"Who will be Casey's new love? Watch "The Bachelorette!"

"Casey can survive a murder trial, but can she survive Exile Island on Survivor??!!"


Jerry Springer, reportedly, wants her story and is willing to pay her a million bucks for it.

She will certainly get a book deal out of this. Will you buy it? Not me.

Is it just me or was it sort of grotesque to see her all prettied up like she is going to go clubbing right after she skips merrily out of jail?

I realize that this is not just a story about Casey or her poor child. It is a story about a sickeningly dysfunctional family. But, I keep seeing her face smirking up at the camera and it makes me want to shake her.

I would have hated to be one of those jurors, I really would have. Because I, like they, would have felt morally responsible to uphold the law and would have had to vote to acquit her. And then I would have to go home and look at myself in the mirror and wonder how to deal with my conscience knowing that I let her go free.

But am I the only one who looks at Casey all dolled up with her hair down and curling prettily and smiling coquettishly up at the cameras...and just feels a roil of disgust flowing through me?

I keep thinking about that line from To Kill A Mockingbird about how terrible things happen and only the children cry.

Someone at work said, "Well, she will have to live with herself now. Knowing that she killed her baby girl."

I wish it were that easy. Something tells me that Casey is not going to spend much time hating herself. Not when there are movies to be made, books to be ghost written and clubs to be hopped.

I will not say her name again. That is the only way I know how to deal with this.

She is no longer in my stratosphere.

I need to laugh at something totally inappropriate right now. Which is why I am going to stop thinking about murderesses schlepping on over to Applebees to get shit faced and pick up some brainless guy to murder and then hide the body. Or maybe carry him around in her car trunk for a few days....

So, I present to you my one and only favorite so very funny, so-wrong-it-is-perfectly-right video.

Let's laugh and let the dead rest in peace. And let's pretend that she never existed.

12 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

She makes me feel terribly sick, too. But all those pious people who say she'll have to live with herself are projecting. It's very clear that she doesn't give a damn and that her only emotion is relief.

Chris said...

who?

iamheatherjo said...

I'll break my self-imposed ban of talking about this subject (I also have a ban on conversations regarding Charlie Sheen)just for you...

No, you're not the only one.

No, I will not buy a book, watch interviews, reality shows or waste time on any sort of movie, well, let's just say anything to do with that woman or her family, for that matter.

I served on a murder trial and my conscience was okay with the 'guilty' verdict because the evidence was so clearly there. The case was presented in such a way that there was no doubt in all of our minds that the person committed the murder in which they were accused.

Emotional people keep trying to bait me into a conversation (argument) and I have to keep biting my tongue to keep from saying "THE JURY COULD NOT CONVICT HER ON GUT FEELINGS! THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!" I have to walk away because I know it won't end up being a friendly debate.

*sigh*

The next case I will watch closely and hope we "get right" will be the absolutely horrific Christian Choate case which happened very close to my home. My heart just aches.

JohnD said...

The cynic in me comes out when I read and view footage of this event. All I can say is I hope that God can forgive the jurors. We must accept their decision but it grates severely with my conscience!

Anonymous said...

I think the reaction to this case says so much about the zeitgiest of America. First, we have become very voyeuristic. We are obsessed with pop culture, the famous, the rich, the star of the minute. Instead of having our own life, we are living through the lives of others. Secondly, we have become a populace ruled by emotions. Logic does not prevail in many avenues. Common sense has gone out the window. (The bundling and reselling of bad mortgages under the guise that the were suddenly "good" mortgages is just one case in point.) Most people couldn't critically think their way out of a wet paper bag. The fact that the jury did their job, and people don't understand that is downright scary. We are reaping the whirlwind of so many bad choices in our country. Heaven help us.

Earth Muffin said...

You're not the only one. What a clusterfuck that whole situation was/is.

Love that video. Justin Timberlake is nine different kinds of awesome, in my opinion.

K dog said...

Dick in a Box is brilliant...I could watch it a 1,000 times and laugh!

I agree that the jury made their decision and that's that and we have to respect it. However, many of the statements from the jurors who have spoken since the trial are troubling.

1) Motive has been mentioned - motive does not have to be proven in first degree murder cases.

2) one juror said, "I shouldn't have to connect the dots" - that is exactly what jurors do....take the evidence given and make reasonable assessment from it.

3) There are too many Law & Orders, CSI's ect., which wrap things up all tidy in an hour and definitely prove what happened and who did it. There is not a police station in the country that has a CSI lab like the one in Las Vegas...does not exist. Lab tests are done at overworked state labs and FBI labs. And science is not a 100% like on TV.

That said, I will not buy her book, or watch her movies or give her second thought.

the only daughter said...

Thanks for the video and no, you're not the only one.

"Events" like the verdict and aftermath make me grateful I work with all men (well, except for newest recruit who's been on hiatus the last few weeks). Not one of the guys mentioned CA, the case, or the verdict. Whew, saved from having to discuss as the whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Beau's Mom said...

I imagine SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE are sad they went off air before the Anthony trial happened. I can imagine the skits they could have made, but then SHE would have ended up being a guest.

When people say she'll have to live with the memories of what she did, that didn't seem to bother her before. And the coquettish looks she slanted upward at her lawyer make me want to stick HER in a laundry bag and toss her in the swamp.

Unlike you, if I had been on the jury, we'd still be in discussions or we'd end up as a hung jury. She did it. She was good at what she did. Evidence? I'd give her as big a chance as she gave Caylee.

Redbone210 said...

I have no comment about She-who-will-not-be-named. Caylee is the only name in this entire clusterf*ck that deserves more than a passing thought. That baby now has people who pray for her since her family didn't.

Sidenote: I never saw "D*ck in a box". Hilarious! You just made my day!

sillywrongbutvividright said...

I'd not heard of her until now - I just read up on Wikipedia. I hate the media circus that surrounds stuff like this.

Jean said...

I heard a story on Public Radio about 'CSI Syndrome'. The jist was that will all the focus on finding fingerprints, hard physical evidence, etc. that many more murderers will go free. Think of Scott Peterson - no 'hard' evidence in that case either. The reporter listed about 10 cases where the verdict would have come back not guilty if the jury hadn't used a preponderance of the evidence. GAH! I have smelled a dead body and I'm here to say that NOTHING - NO FREAKING GARBAGE IN THE WORLD - smells like it. And once you've smelled it, you'd never, ever forget it or mistake it for any other odor.

If I had been the prosecution, I would have done my damndest to have She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named subjected to massive intensive psychological evaluation before the trial. There's not a single mother out there that could have done what she did in the 31 days following Caylee's death/disappearance unless she was totally psychotic or a sociopath.

I'm betting on sociopath.