Friday, February 04, 2011

Under the category of too much information

All I do is pee...or think about peeing.

Started on Monday (also known as the beginning of the snowstorm days) when I noticed at work that I felt like I had to pee all the time. Went to the bathroom...was able to squeak out maybe a tablespoon of pee.

Called my family doctor, whom I love. He is such a small man that he is only slightly taller than a little person (can I say midget or is that just wrong?) He suggested that I come in and pee in a cup.

I took off work and did that. He prescribed antibiotics, said that it sounded like a urinary tract infection and I concurred.

Well, I should have felt better by Tuesday evening. I didn't. Plus, I was now stranded inside because of the snowstorm. Nothing like having an urgent need to pee and knowing that I am stranded in my house. Thank god I was close to three toilets.

I drove Bing crazy for three days. Refused to let her sleep with me because every time she moved, it just made my urgent need to pee...well....urgenter. Or I should be grammatically correct and say more urgent. But, truly...urgenter just sounds more like it feels.

I called Dr. back yesterday. Told him that the antibiotics were not helping. He suggested trying a different one and then calling him on Monday if I wasn't better and we would "take a few steps that I am sure you will not like."

This means those fun lab tests where one wears a napkin for a dressing gown and has to be poked and prodded by machines to see WHY THE GOD DAMN FUCK I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO PEE ALL THE TIME.

Bing, as always, being Ms. Healthy Britches, was no help.

Here were her comments:

"Maybe you have a cyst that is pressing on your bladder."

"Maybe you are becoming incontinent. Should we go get you some DEPENDS to wear to work?"

"Honey, you aren't in a wheel chair. Things could be worse."

I would like to see HER feel like she has to pee every second and then when she sits down on the throne have nothing come out!

Plus, I am not an antibiotic person. I am allergic to most of them, break out in hives. So fun. So, I have to depend on the lesser known ones.

All I know is that I am losing my mind and I want to hear stories that are worse than mine. Tell me if you have ever had one and what helped. (Yes, I am gulping down cranberry juice by the gallon.) And if you have some other disgusting ailment that you can share to make me feel better, have at it.

In the meantime, I will be at work today squirming through my hour long appointments and then sprinting into the bathroom to pee my tablespoon out. And it may be a long weekend at home since I already told Bing not to plan a single solitary thing this weekend. I am hunkering down by the toilet all weekend. Unless these new antibiotics work.....fingers crossed.

She PISSED me off by saying, "Well, do you want to go see a movie?"

Yes, honey. Let's do that. I'll just sit in a dirty public bathroom while you enjoy the show.

Do I sound cranky?

Damn right I am.

19 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't blame you feeling cranky! I was feeling ok, but now I need to pee!

Thanks for that.

Isn't needing to pee all the time part of the menopause? Will I get killed for asking that??

Raven said...

Had it once. Hope to never have it again. Lots of water, herbal tea & yes, the juice--but pure, bitter cranberry. Not the sugary crap. No sugar/dairy/wheat, either.

Of course, I had to look into the emotional side of it--and found out that in Chinese medicine, the bladder is "crying" with disappointment. The kidneys hold rage. Which made a whole hell of a lot of sense at that point in my life. Got some Chinese herbal tincture from my acupuncturist and it cleared right up.

Just to make it more fun, you could always blame Bing and your week of unbridled lust. ;)

MB said...

Once, when I was getting to ready to make a monumental change in my life (moving across the country to live with a man I barely knew), I came down with the epitome of all yeast infections. Those are bad enough any time, but this was a doozy. So I dutifully bought the over-the-counter prescription cream that you place, uh, you know where.

Guess what I learned that night, when I put the cream in before I went to bed? I'm allergic to the active ingredient in that cream. And that is a spot you cannot itch.

I'm not a religious person, but I was thanking god for Benadryl, the only thing that kept me from completely losing my mind.

I hope your antibiotics kick in soon, so you can enjoy your weekend and the not have to spend the whole thing in a bathroom.

Anonymous said...

I am the UTI Queen or maybe the princess because my mom is, also... but mine are super painful... eventually I can't get off the toilet and am sort of breathless with pain. Sexual activity generally the cause. The muddling of bacteria from place to place around genetically tricky urethras and all that. (Of course, I have read all about UTIs.) They don't sound like yours.

Yours do sound awful, however! Are you in pain, as well? Or mostly the urgenter issue?

In general, I have found that unless has suffered from chronic something they jsut don't get pain. I have not had every kind of pain but I have had pain and I have had chronic problems, as well. Plus migraines! As you do. I get it.

I'm guessing Bing is mighty healthy?

Hope you feel better soon. It's miserable to be miserable.

My mom and I take bladder tranques or whatever they are technically. Avo is one brand. Takes away the pain and urgency somewhat. But I believe it affects tests so if doc wants you to do more tests then maybe not good idea. I keep Avo in my cabinet!!! Kaiser will let me pick up antibiotics before lab test and my doc knows I get UTIs easily so I don't have to wait too long to get started on meds, get my Avo going, etc. Otherwise, I sit in the bathroom, trying to read a People magazine and nearly crying from the pain. And walking from my car in to get the script is too damn hard.

TMI? Sorry!

Feel better soon!!!

ZC

Anonymous said...

I am the UTI Queen or maybe the princess because my mom is, also... but mine are super painful... eventually I can't get off the toilet and am sort of breathless with pain. Sexual activity generally the cause. The muddling of bacteria from place to place around genetically tricky urethras and all that. (Of course, I have read all about UTIs.) They don't sound like yours.

Yours do sound awful, however! Are you in pain, as well? Or mostly the urgenter issue?

In general, I have found that unless has suffered from chronic something they jsut don't get pain. I have not had every kind of pain but I have had pain and I have had chronic problems, as well. Plus migraines! As you do. I get it.

I'm guessing Bing is mighty healthy?

Hope you feel better soon. It's miserable to be miserable.

My mom and I take bladder tranques or whatever they are technically. Avo is one brand. Takes away the pain and urgency somewhat. But I believe it affects tests so if doc wants you to do more tests then maybe not good idea. I keep Avo in my cabinet!!! Kaiser will let me pick up antibiotics before lab test and my doc knows I get UTIs easily so I don't have to wait too long to get started on meds, get my Avo going, etc. Otherwise, I sit in the bathroom, trying to read a People magazine and nearly crying from the pain. And walking from my car in to get the script is too damn hard.

TMI? Sorry!

Feel better soon!!!

ZC

Annemarie of Holland said...

No worries, you don't sound any crankier than you're entitled to!

Eric said...

Cranberry juice or cranberry "cocktail"?

kymberley said...

Oh boy...lol, you poor girl. I have the urge to used the bathroom alot and from having children my bladder muscles have weakened and to make a long story short, I have bladder incontenence now.
I take medication (vesicare) which has helped so much. I do not have the 'urge' to go quite as often and when I cough/sneeze/laugh I don't have accidents.

I can't believe I wrote this. But well, it is a fact of life and happens sometimes as we get older.
Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I buy cranberry tablets and take 4 at a time, about every two hours. I usually see improvement in about 8 hours.

JY said...

Unfortunately no horror stories...but yeah I would be cranky too... hope things turn around for the better...

John Gray said...

2 glasses of cranberry juice daily!

xxx

Heather said...

Hey Maria, I've experienced simmer symptoms that turned out to be interstitial cystitis. I wish I could say there was something that helped, but it eventually just went away as mysteriously as it had arrived.

I hope you feel better soon.

grumpygranny said...

Perhaps you have cystitis? I had it as a kid and all I remember is an incredible urge to pee ALL THE TIME but not being able to make anything come out.

Good luck and I hope your doctor can help you!

GG

Lilith said...

Pyridium and lots of water. My poor mother has had a bladder infection for the past six weeks, three different antibiotics and still the infection persists. What's up with the bladder bugs?

jo.irish.rose said...

bless your lil inflamed bladder. i get UTI's quite frequently. its an anatomical thing for me. i have had two bladder sugeries. it is alot better now. but i have to be very careful. i cant believe he did not give you pyridium....it is a numbing agent that takes away that "got to go right now" feeling. you can buy it at walmart or any pharmacy. its called uzo or something similar. make sure it says it has the anisthetic in it. unless your allergic to that. that is the only way i can survive. as soon as i get the slightest feeling, i usually know when its coming on...i start the uzo. it makes your pee dark orange, stains your clothes, so gotta wear a pad. but really helps. at least till the antibiotic kicks in. i have had to try several antibiotics because i have had so many infections, i am resistant to several. i really feel for you. i hate having them and i cant do a thing when i have them either but just lay in pain till it kicks in. but the anisthetic just takes about 30-45 mins to work. when you see the orange, you know its working. good luck to you!! jo

LizC said...

There were two occasions in my life when I experienced something similar - and boy I know how frustrating it is! In both cases, I was just about to pass a kidney stone. Is that a possibility?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've had UTI's and they totally suck. Drinking lots of water actually helps to flush out the bad bacteria since as you're noted, you are not producing much despite the constant urge to pee. I love cranberries, but cranberry capsules are more effective than the sugary cocktail drink, while pure cranberry juice is bitter. Good luck and much sympathy!

Janet Smith said...

Oxybuton (may have mis-spelled) end of problem. There is a medical condition and I would suspect it can present at any age. You may have urge incontinence and a pill fixes it all.

C said...

i take cranberry extract gel pills daily to avoid one. it helps keep it away. eating yogurt with live cultures every day helps too. bless your lil ever peeing heart...