Thursday, July 08, 2010

That post where Maria admits that she might as well be a 15 year old boy

Oh. God.

Harriet came over for dinner and a movie tonight. I told her to bring over something interesting, something to sink our brains into. I specifically instructed her to bring something that Bing would never sit through, a documentary or a chick flick, maybe something similar to Kinsey or Out of Africa.

So she brought over Superbad.

Told me to just shut the fuck up and watch. I was ready to roll my eyes and be just so above it all. I settled in with my diet Dr. Pepper and pretzels.

The movie started.

AT one point I was laughing so hard that I nearly had soda pop come flying out of my nose.

Harriet and I cackled so hard at one scene that I am quite certain that the line "What is that stain on your pants?" is going to send us into hysterics over and over again.

I loved this movie. I laid on the floor laughing like a hyena. I was literally gasping at one point.

I will NEVER watch this with Liv. And I don't even know if I can watch it with Bing. It might ruin my rep for being the serious, sophisticated movie watcher in our house.

But, God...I am learning so very much about myself as I adjust to my summer alone.

I've learned that I like the television off most of the time.

I've learned that I can kill large spiders who slide out of my bathtub drain with my bare hands.

I've learned that I can put gas in my own vehicle.

I've learned that it is okay to listen to music all night long and then start bawling because I will never be able to wear a little black dress into a bar again and get lots of very nice stares. At my age, I am fighting varicose veins, am wobbly in heels and my arm and stomach muscles are no longer firm. If I walk into a bar wearing the clothes I wore when I was 23, I would get long pity filled stares. But, I can still listen to music and remember.

I've learned that I actually like Anderson Cooper and will watch his show at night instead of anything else.

But, what I have learned the most is that I think I have a fifteen year old boy living somewhere inside of me....

Because I swear, I am STILL laughing over this scene. I was laughing just watching him trying to look cool and dance. And then....later...GOOD HELL...I was a goner. Laughing so helplessly and hard that my stomach muscles ached.



So, what's your dirty little secret favorite movie?

23 comments:

iamheatherjo said...

I would have to rib you a little and question the sophisticated movie watcher for your affinity for Twilight alone. ;)

The advantage to not being a movie snob is that I don't have to keep any of my favorite movies a dirty little secret. I'm not ashamed of the silly movies (or music) that I love. They make me happy, so who cares, right?

I sometimes think a particular viewing can make all the difference in the enjoyment of them movie as well, you might not enjoy 'Superbad' as much with anyone but Harriet. I thought I would enjoy it a lot more than I did. You had no expectations for it and I suppose I had too many.

We watched the movie 'Taxi' one night and giggled until we woke Flea's children and I've seen the movie again since and have never laughed as hard as I did that night with her. I guess the planets just aligned. :)

Maria said...

HEY! Don't you go and dis my Edward. My heart actually beats for Carlisle more than Edward, but Edward sends the 15 year old GIRL in me to the moon.

Harriet just called me and whispered "what is that on your pants?" and we started giggling like tweeners.

God help me when I am trying to work tomorrow and I think of this scene....

JY said...

I guess I've never been a movie snob, so I dont have any dirty little movie secrets... LOL...
wo..."what IS that on your pants"... bwa ha ha ha ha....

Kate said...

I have a thing for Nacho Libre.

Rebecca said...

Save the Last Dance. It's sooooo bad and yet sooooo good. Plus Julia Stiles is ridic hot.

Golden To Silver Val said...

Same thing happened to me Maria!!! I watched this with MY DAUGHTER who is in her 40's and we rolled with laughter. Ahem...I wouldn't admit that to just anyone. And *sigh* the music....the music. My friend's mother used to sit and listen to the "big band" records with a dreamy look on her face and now I understand it completely. I grew up in the late 50's/early 60's so thank god I have some really decent songs to take me back to memory lane. I'm so glad you had so much fun with your BFF. Laughter is GOOD for you!

trinity2 said...

Joey and I went to go see the Hangover just because we heard it was so funny. I've never laughed so hard in my life!

jean said...

Hands down - Dumb and Dumber. I was forced to watch it the first time, but chose to watch it the next, oh, 3 or 4 times!

Hangover was pretty funny, too. Love that guy from The Office.

zirelda said...

Too funny. But...

The Princess Bride. I watch it every time I come across it no matter how far into it.

Carol Kane cracks me up.

e said...

I will freely admit that I prefer animated kid movies to nearly anything else. I am movie wimp, what can I say?!

One other thing: I feel you on the little black dress longing. Oh, to wear that navy blue, polka dot, figure hugging, short skirted, swingy dress that still hangs in my closet. Sigh. I suppose I should give it away, but I loved that dress and felt so good in it...

Trop said...

I love that movie. It's simply BRILLIANT.

K dog said...

Definitely "The Hangover"....apparently I am a teenage straight boy living in a Lesbian's body.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Dirty little secret favorite movie? Oh, I dunno. Maybe Sweet Home Alabama and the John Cusack movie with the boombox scene. Dirty Dancing.

But my other dirty little secret is that I am really a four-year old little boy inside the body of an aging woman. I adore toy cars and fire engines, wind-up toys, things that make "brummmm brummmm" noises. I even swear like a child - "Stupidhead" and "Doodoohead" are two serious insults I hurl at other drivers, or sometimes even "fricking fuckyface noodlehead" if I'm really offended.

Kass said...

I have long known that I am stuck in a critical stage of my development: Jr. High. Fart jokes and movies like SuperBad send me into seizures. I watch them with my daughter. We have a weird and fun relationship. Some day you and Liv might be able to share a similar sense of humor. One can only hope.

teeveezed said...

I don't have one, but I do have a TV series I watch if it happens to be on...The Brady Bunch. =0

Fusion said...

Never Again.

One scene has Jill Clayburgh trying to quickly take off a strap on when her BF shows up with his eldery mother to introduce them.

Nuff said...

My GF and I love this movie.

Grumpy Granny said...

Airplane.

"This is Captain Over, over."

"What's the vector, Victor?"

"Roger, Roger."

Kills me every time.

GG

Miss Healthypants said...

I loved that movie, too!--it was freakin' hilarious. :)

My favorite character was definitely McLovin. Hands down. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

High School Musical 1, oh and 2, and 3.

17 Again.

I blame Zac Efron

the only daughter said...

I haven't seen Super Bad but on daughter's, and now your recommendation, I think I shall.

I suppose if I were picking a dirty little secret favorite movie it'd be The Italian Job

midlifenatalie said...

despite being a girl i think i would also totally freak out if some other girl had her period on my pants. i'm not sure i would handle it well. and i think i'm feeling a tad bit sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

i must be a wimp.

Earth Muffin said...

We LOVED this movie! Laughed our asses off through all of it. Have you seen Knocked Up? Also quite good. I have tons of "dirty little secret" movies, though I don't keep them secret. I love me a good, serious, quirky independent film, but I also like to just lose myself in a mindless story sometimes too. I love Grease, Center Stage, Dumb and Dumber...and too many more to name. BTW, Mr. EM and I saw "Cyrus" this weekend, also starring Jonah Hill. Very good movie for a film snob like yourself!

Lilith said...

The Hangover and The Hot tub time machine. Too funny.