Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Summer Song, a new book, and faucets and paint.

Well. Bing started tearing up the bathroom floor this week and she is finally convinced that we need to hire someone to lay the floor for us and put in the new pedestal sink. We took bids yesterday and even the lowest one sort of made me shudder. But, it is not nearly as bad as waiting until Liv graduates from college before the room is done, which would be the case if Bing did it.

She IS going to re-paint the walls and take down the horrible, ugly, very bad liner of wallpaper at the top of the room (blue fish...it is just too cutesy.) I feel okay with her painting.

So, we went to price bathroom faucets today and of course, every single one that I liked cost 200 bucks. I am starting to accept the fact that this is going to be a very pricey job.

Later, I went shopping at the mall for some birthday gifts alone. I was almost silly with excitement at getting to do something by myself. No one to tug at me when I stop to look at purses or try lipstick shades on the back of my hand. No race walking past Orange Julius hoping that Liv won't beg for one. No having to stop in at Radio Shack "just to have a look-see!"

I meandered. Picked up a new book at the bookstore (I think I spent over an hour in there. Bookstores are like my crack.) It's called Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris and I actually stood at the counter, waiting in line and reading like the addict I am. How can you not love a book that starts out

We were fractious and overpaid. Our mornings lacked promise. At least those of us who smoked had something to look forward to at ten-fifteen. Most of us liked most everyone, a few of us hated specific individuals, one or two people loved everyone and everything. Those who loved everyone were unanimously reviled....

Good writing is just good writing and it pulls you in nice and smooth. I know I am going to love this book.

I hopped into the car for the drive home, realized that I had Bing's car, so could not listen to my audio book, so turned on the radio and it came on. That song that does me in. The one that can make me cry. I didn't even try to drive, just pulled over and let the music wash all over me on a side road, parked at the curb. Eyes closed. Tears streaming down my face.

A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy

I have no idea why this song moves me to tears. Regrets? The pain of that first love? All I know is that when I hear this song, something silky slides over my heart and makes me cry. It is an old, old song by Chad and Jeremy. You can hear it by going here. Just click on A Summer Song.

God, I just listened to it again and started bawling. Time to go do something mundane like listen to the news...

G'night y'all.

13 comments:

Burg said...

We remodeled our bathroom a few years ago because we had to due to a rotten floor. It is pricey. It's also a huge pain.

I miss the big bathtub I had before. Oh well, with any luck we'll be out of this house real soon..

stacy said...

I feel for you on the remodeling. It always costs more than you expect and takes longer, too. We redid the livingroom in the fall and if I'm lucky, Tim really will take a week of vacation when he finishes the work project from hell in May and then he might get the last of the flooring and the baseboard down. If I'm lucky.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

It's so nice to just be able to meander through a book store for an hour, isn't it? Just quiet time. We all need it sometimes! Good for you!

Terroni said...

I listened to your song while completing my meme assignment.

Have you checked out the new Anne Lamott book?

Jill said...

Glad Bing saw the light about the remodel. Ours finally starts on Tuesday, so I can relate to the $$$ woes. Faucets, mirrors, lights, oh my!

I'm listening to the song. You really are quite the sap, aren't you? ;-)

Maria said...

Terroni: I have Lamott's new book in my "awaiting' pile. Would you believe that there are FOURTEEN books in there? I can't imagine life without books, and yeah...she does it the best.

Jill: You have NO idea how sappy I am. It is pitiful, it really is. Bing jokes with me constantly that people think I am such a cool cucumber when in actuality, I cry at Hallmark commercials. I received an e-mail from all THREE of my sisters all saying about the same thing: Who knew you were such an incurable sap? Jessie (youngest) suggested that I go buy a Partridge Family album....:)

Terroni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

Terroni...I posted your last response and then realized that perhaps you didn't want the blogging community knowing about your health history! So..I deleted it.

I was ruling out Meniere's syndrome, which I have had for years and because you are my little soul sister, I wondered if you not only had my neurotic tendencies, the same sense of sick humor and my love of Jeff Goldblum, but also my health worries....

PBS said...

That's good that your remodeling project will get done quickly. There are certain songs that make me cry every time, even some commercials. That book sounds like a really good read. I'm going to check and see if our library has it the next time I go there.

Elle said...

Thank goodness you were allowed to call in the reinforcements LOL!!! Nothing worse than a do-it-yourselfer than really can't.

I have nominated your for the Thinker Award. Check out my blog to see why :)

Carrie said...

So she gave in?

That song is great but it would never make me think of my first love. I don't care too much for him. There is a song called far away by nickelback that triggers something in me with tears.

Terroni said...

Maybe it's Jeff Goldblum's fault. Maybe I store my lust for him in my left ear. :>

Bones said...

Maria, I was secretly wondering how long it would take for Bing to just carpet the bathroom and claim victory. Be sure to take some before and after photos!

Oh and carrie, nickelback triggers tears in me, too. probably for different reasons. Mine have to do with pitch, tone and cheeze-ball songwriting.