Saturday, April 07, 2007

Love (and TV) will keep us together.

I used to be one of those people who never watched TV. I mean it. I just didn't get into it. Neither did Bing. She was more interested in working out and being a workaholic. I was a reader.

Then came The Sopranos. When it first began, we weren't partners, but we used to watch it together over the phone. From the first strains of the opening song

You woke up this morning
Got Yourself a Gun
Mama Always said you'd be
The Chosen One...


Yeah...hooked.

Both of us. Bad.

And now tomorrow starts the last season of The Sopranos. No more Tony and Carm? I frackin' love them. What is gonna happen to A.J? I need to know if he takes up his father's business. How about Silvio and Paulie? I love those guys. Is Meadow going to be okay? I only hope that I can figure it all out before this show ends.

It does occur to me that I am too totally involved with TV character's lives.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't end there. Bing and I have our separate favorite shows. (She likes this one called Nip/Tuck that I have always found to be really boring. She will watch anything with a motorcycle in it. She is also a channel hopper and that has caused more than one fight. I mean find something and stay with it, willya? Do you have the attention span of a gnat?)

I like Survivor. There. I said it. I have had more than one person ask me if I really want to be THAT low on the television totem pole.

Yes, I do. I like Survivor. I can't help it. And I have no excuse. I am not usually into watching people eat bugs or starve, but hey...it's um...entertainment.

But, we also have our shared shows. We actually buy treats for ourselves to shove into our mouths with both hands, eyes on the TV screen eat while we watch. This is probably why I cannot lose those 7 pounds that I've managed to slap on since Christmas. Bing works out, so she can get away with eating pizza at 9 p.m. I don't work out. I take long walks. Somehow, I suspect that this isn't going to burn up ice cream calories.

We like Lost. 30 Rock. The Amazing Race. The Wire. Heroes. Battlestar Galactica. And now, as if we aren't addicted enough, we have added Raines to our list of favorites. Mostly, I like it because I will watch anything with Jeff Goldblum in it. ANYTHING. Bing likes the computer graphics on the opening credits.

But, The Sopranos is still our best.

How can you not love Tony Soprano?

When you woke up this morning
When you woke up this morning
When you woke up this morning
When you woke up this morning
You got yourself a gun.....


And...let's see, a message for the peeper: No, I don't lay awake nights. Why the hell would I? I'm not the peeper. You are.

14 comments:

dennis said...

wow, we like

sorry, got distracted by a tag body spray commercial.

and taco bell.

Melanie said...

"I will watch anything with Jeff Goldblum in it. ANYTHING."

oh, god. reading that, i had a little scenario play out in my head. the way he always is in his movies, where he starts out the peculiarly intense science-y guy, who somehow by midway through the movie has an excuse to be walking around in his khakis with his button-down plaid shirt hanging open to reveal science-guy-beefcake-chest mostly in a white tank undershirt. now this scenario is on auto-repeat in my head: Goldblum at movie beginning to Goldblum at movie end. Help me. I admit, I will watch any of it, too. I don't know why. He's not even my type. *plays scenes in brain again* ack.

Terroni said...

Mmmm...Jeff Goldblum. I find his voice to be incredibly sexy.

I find almost everything about him to be incredibly sexy.

I could lay awake nights thinking about Jeff Goldblum.

jenny said...

Lost, but we dont get it any more as our cable company wouldnt pay sky's rates, I like nip/tuck but you have to have watched it for a ong time to know whats going on (but not as bad as lost!) ER, I dont tend to watch much UK tv, we dont make much god stuff, oh I do love The Unit, we get that on Bravo, what programmes of ours do you get?

Nana is my sons grandmother, we get on very well, she's lovely and we just ignore the fact that her son, my sons father is such a loser and that dumpling has never met him! Her husband died a week before dumplings first birthday, very sad but she picked herself up and started a new life, she was 60 in february but behaves likes she 21!

PBS said...

I was watching some TV shows regularly too, until my son moved out. Now I've barely watched TV, at home, anyway. Saturday night at Mom's house we had a TV marathon to see all of her shows. It was fun watching it all (younger brother and his family) together with Mom. I hadn't seen any of the CSI shows for quite a while.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I have too many shows I tivo to even list here. I Love me some TV. But I only watch at night when all the kiddies are sleepig...so it takes me a while to catch up.

ryan said...

oh it's so so so good
i missed it last night
totally forgot!

thanks god for monday night reruns
and
hbo on demand

i have never been huge on television either
but the sopranos has changed that!

Lainey-Paney said...

I never watched Sopranos until my husband got me hooked.
After that, we went to Blockbuster, rented like all of them that were out on DVD & stayed at home one weekend watching NOTHING BUT SOPRANOS! It was awesome.
He caught me up to speed, and I've been hooked ever since.
BUT--
last season sucked (in my opinion...)
We will just have to wait and see about this season... We didn't watch it last night, and so we haven't seen that episode yet.
:)

Elle said...

I am a total LOST fanatic. Never really got into the Sopranos but their theme song IS catchy! And yes, I have dreams of being in t.v. shows sometimes... THAT is so odd huh?

Terroni said...

Speaking of TV, I saw The Amazing Race last night for the first time in a long time. I may be hooked.

Jill said...

Ugh! I can't stand Jeff Goldblum (sorry)... but I do love the Sopranos and how bummed am I that we just cancelled all our movie channels to save some $$$?? Drat!

stacy said...

Geez, what does it say about me that I've never seen any of those shows you like...except for Survivor, but that was the first season. In case you can't tell, though I do watch a few shows (Dancing with the Stars, Idol and Friday Night Lights) I could easily live without television. Tim and Megan, on the other hand, would go insane.

Carrie said...

I didn't have HBO when Sopranos started so I never got to watch. :(

We watch Two and Half Men. How I met your mother. King of Queens. America's Most Wanted. And that is about it. We watch a lot of cooking shows too.

You have a peeper?

Diana said...

Sopranos- YES! And The Wire- YES!
Lately we've been to busy for t.v, go figure, you should see the layer of dust collecting on it. But those two shows...love them!