Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What I'm reading, watching and listening to...

We saw Blood Diamond this weekend. It was incredible. Turned me into a big DiCaprio fan. And it made me think hard about diamonds and where they come from.

Not that I have any to speak of. I am not a big jewelry person. My marriage band is a ruby. I tend to favor jewelry from thrift and fair trade shops. I have lots of rose quartz and jade. I'm not really into the big money gems. (Bing is sighing with relief, I am sure!) But, now...I think I need to educate myself a bit now that I have seen this movie.

I just finished reading The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates. And boy...that was a READ. It was the kind of book where you crave it like a junkie. I would be doing other things and see the book across the room and just want to go sink into a chair and read for an hour and forget about everything else. Me being me....a slave to responsibility....I seldom succumbed, so it took me nearly two weeks to get through it. I've just started Fannie Flagg's new book, Can't Wait to Get to Heaven and am finding it a light ride. Enjoyable, but very light. Sometimes that is what you need after a heavy read.

In the car, I am listening to Garrison Keillor's Mark Twain's House. It is fascinating. I have always thought that Huckleberry Finn was one of the best books written. I tried to read it to Liv once and the dialogue was just too hard for a novice like me to pronounce well. I gave it to her to read and to my horror, she found it "boring." She much prefers Harry Potter. Anyway...I am learning about Mark Twain from Keillor's book and loving every second of it. And by the way, Keillor knows EXACTLY how to read Huckleberry Finn. He reads excerpts on the cd.

Last night, I got my fix of Heroes. I am semi-hooked. I also watch Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica (I want to be Starbuck soooooo bad), Lost, The Sopranos, and 30 Rock. I don't know what is the matter with me...I have had so many people tell me to watch The Office, they say it is my kind of humor. I watched it once and just couldn't get into it. I watch Scrubs once in awhile just to see Zach Braff in action.


So, what are you reading, watching and listening to?

7 comments:

Denver Dad said...

I love Battlestar Galactica and 30 Rock too! I am also, as ashamed as I am to admit it, addicted to Supernanny. Our little guy is very well behaved and not anything like the kids on that show, so I'm not really getting pointers for the show. We're lucky that way, but I think I watch it because I'm draw to the horror of it. It's like staring at a car accident.

I'm so lame.

I just started "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami. I haven't really gotten into it yet, but he's my favorite writer these days, so I have high hopes.

Rebecca said...

Reading: Stephen King's latest, "Lisey's Story", and a whole plethera of New Age-y type self-help books that I seem to be addicted to.
Watching: House and What Not to Wear are the top 2. I also kind of keep up with Amazing Race (but I hate Rob and Amber, so that is proving difficult this season), Survivor, and American Idol. Hubby watches Battlestar, so I usually see it vicariously while I read blogs or something...haha.
Listening: Not much lately. I need to update my MP3 thingie with some new stuff. Seriously.

Proxima said...

Usually if everyone else is into something, I'll ignore, ESPECIALLY is it reminds them of me. I got that a lot with "Alias", I suppose I should be flattered bu ahem anyways. Maybe you'll "THe Office" when it's out of vogue so you can be more impartial.

I hope you'll consider reading
"We Die Alone" by David Howarth, it's a fast read and hard to put down. And it's a true story of a Norweign in WWII trying to escape the Nazi's. It's a unisex book, so don't disregard it because it'sbout an aspect of WWII. There is nothing gruesome I can recall, it's more a story of hope, community and survival.
-P

creative-type dad said...

DiCaprio - I don't know. I just can't get over the fact that he's the homeless kid from "Growing Pains", he looks (and acts) like he's 13.

He's kind of like Tom Cruise.

As for The Office - that's pretty much the only think I watch on TV these days (Love it!!) and HGTV...

Carrie said...

I never made it to the movies but rented Red Dragon. I'm trying to catch up with the good doctor before I see Hannibal. Blood Diamond looks good and I adore Leo.

I can't really get into any music right now. I'm out of the loop.

I'm not reading anything right. I just finished school so I am taking a break. I need to find a good novel though.

Adam has a problem Huck too. I guess I talk so slack-jaw that it doesn't bother me and the fact that my family speak that way too. But he just can't stand it.

Jill said...

I just finished reading Catcher in the Rye and am now reading The Last King of Scotland, the novel the movie was based on. I am listening to the new Dixie Chicks album... I can't get enough of I'm Not REady to Make Nice. It's the most cathartic song I've ever heard. I'm planning a post about it, I think, maybe... I don't know, that could be lame. I'm watching way too much TV. I watched Oprah's After Oscar Party yesterday on TIVO and thought it was pretty lame, but Gilmore Girls is on tonight, so I'll get to watch that when I get home tomorrow from my trip. Whheeeeeee!

Elle said...

I so want to see that movie!!!